Skip to main content

ED 640 Teaching Reflection – Liam Breathnach

It is a strange year in terms of how much is going on with Grad School, little Tommy and keeping going teaching the students, but I am really reflecting on how I can change the normal set up of my teaching to put more onus on the students. I think if I can focus on the skills such as research and note taking then they will be more able to learn the content themselves. With time constraints I am not really implementing new ideas too much but I have a word document set up for recording any ideas for future plans or ideas. This week we had a half day PD day on Thursday and our classes were all shortened. I had not thought about that when planning, so I made a last minute decision to group the students and have them find websites to research organelle functions rather than going through the powerpoint. I was pleasantly surprised how it went! Students were in groups of three with 2 researchers and 1 note taker. I switched the note taking role every few minutes. Then I would ask for a function of an organelle, write it on the board, and have a quick discussion about it. How is the wording? Have we left anything out? The class seemed engaged, and we had a board full of good functions for the organelles. I took pictures and have emailed them to the students. And the powerpoint is still available to them, so they will have plenty of resources!

It is a well-known fact that students tend to have short attention span, like variety and benefit when there is some dynamism in the classroom (Bellanca and Brandt, 2010, Snowman and McCown, 2015). For these reasons it is very important that the class is well broken up. There should be little sections, focused on the objectives, with times in between for students to assimilate the content and show they are absorbing it. So there should be a section for discovery or learning, some time to discuss and absorb the material and then an assessment, formative or summative, where the teacher can gauge the success of the students in meeting the objectives and then refine the instruction as necessary.  

There are a variety of ways a teacher can break up the class in such a manner. If the content comes first and is imparted by the teacher, there can be a class discussion or small group discussion about the content and how it is applicable and related to previous knowledge. A full class discussion or visiting each group would give the teacher some feedback on student progress and when they are ready a task could be assigned where students would have to apply their learning in order to complete it. In a more discovery based plan, the students could start with the task, and then could discuss as a group the hows and whys in order to explain the task they have just completed. In either scenario it would be worthwhile to have the students interact with other groups to see if there are different routes of ideas students used to complete the task.

Thanks

References

Bellanca, J. & Brandt, R. (2010). 21st Century Skills; Rethinking How Students Learn. Solution Tree Press

McCown, R. & Snowman, J. (2015). Psychology Applied to Teaching (14th ed.). Stamford, Connecticut: Cengage Learning

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Framing Reading; Semantic Maps

Framing our Reading – Vocab Mod 6 Liam Breathnach The three words I chose were endocrinologist, genome and variant. They were all included in an article on how genetics influences height.   The article linked here, https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170201131513.htm details how genes are linked to height and how we may learn from, and influence this in future. There are many reasons I chose the word endocrinologist. Its length goes against it initially but it is a great example to show how we can break up words in to sections to get to the meaning. Teaching the word we can expand biological vocabulary and talk about prefixes such as hemo_, and group words like pulmonary, renal, cardiac which pertain to body parts. There is also an opportunity to teach about the various specialized medical professionals you may encounter such as oncologists. The lesson could even stretch to scientists in other fields, such as ecologist or botanists.     ...

Teaching the Genetics of Height and its Implications

Teaching the Genetics of Height and its Implications This week Yetunde and I stayed with the area of genetics. We chose this article https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170201131513.htm from the website Science Daily.   We chose this article as it is cutting edge and can be used to serve as a template for future studies of polygenic traits. The topic of height is also likely to be at the forefront of the minds of many of our students and will therefore have added relevance. We decided to stay with genetics for a number of reasons. It is a large part of the Biology course. We can show our students that Biology is always learning and changing, and I have found that students are fascinated by the power and influence of genetics. I was immediately interested by the article. I have always liked to know facts and dimensions and always wanted to be tall. That I am a centimeter taller than anyone else in my family is still a source of some (childish) pride! Any reflectio...

Teaching a reading lesson on Mutations...

Ed 620 Framing Our Reading Mod 5 Yetunde and I stayed with genetics this week choosing an article linked here https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170419091616.htm from the website www.sciencedaily.com . The article is very interesting. The headline is an attention grabber, certainly in the all-boys school I am in. The word mutant is going to grab their attention. The overall concept throughout the article is good too. On initial reading, students might just get stuck on the idea that we can manipulate DNA in wasps, but there is the underlying idea which can be drawn from them - If this works there are endless possibilities with the CRISPR technology. There are many attractive things about the article. It does give the teacher an opportunity to review or teach about the life cycle of insects to some extent. An easy conversation would be why lots of these type of experiments are done on insects. You would expect to hear about cost and accessibility, but you could hav...